Sunday, June 19, 2011

Video I'm Not a Crazy Person, I'm a Very Well Educated Person: Hilarious Argument on Metro North Railroad

LOL I unleashed this video on the world! I used to be active on a few blogs, and while I don't have time for that anymore, I still occasionally send them human-interest stories. Anyway, I found this video a few nights ago on YouTube while searching for subway videos. (I know you think I'm slacking on creating videos, but I actually do work on them a little bit almost every night. I was searching for footage of people on subways--actually disgusting subway floors--to add clips to my "Make Your Home a No-Shoe Zone" PSA that I'm creating to add to the end of all future videos.) Anyway, the video had about 40 views. A commuter was politely asked by the conductor to lower her voice and refrain from using profanity. The commuter responds by pridefully proclaiming her upper-crust status stating, "Excuse me, do you know what schools I've been to and how well educated I am?" An amusing back-and-forth exchange ensued and her final words before the video ended were, "That's why you people work at a train!"

I sent the video to Huffington Post, Tosh.0, Gawker, Yahoo, Barstools, and a few others, with my commentary to open a discussion on the issue of "Classism" in America. The original video had a different title, but the title of my article was, "I'm Not a Crazy Person, I'm a Very Well Educated Person: Hilarious Argument on Metro North Railroad." (As you guys know, I call everything "hilarious.") I woke up the next morning and the friggin video was EVERYWHERE! I googled my title, and tons of blogs picked up the story. The original video was removed, but a copy of the video, bearing my article's title, received over 2 million views in 1 day (that video has also been removed). Many copies are floating around, but if you haven't seen it, watch below. (If this video gets removed, just google my article's title.)


It's an important issue because unlike racism, sexism, ageism, etc., "classism" is universal. Regardless of who you are, what you look like, or where you live, you've most likely experienced someone looking down their nose, believing they possess some quality that makes them superior. Pretty much everyone would have a visceral reaction to witnessing a person assert their superiority based on their station in life. However, if I hurled the "N" word at a Caucasian, they wouldn't react; if I called a man a "tramp," he wouldn't be fazed; if I called a 14-year-old girl "a wrinkled hag," she wouldn't care. Classism, being a universal experience, makes it, curiously, an even greater social offense. It could open a conversation enabling many to empathize when witnessing other forms of discrimination. I was right (as usual... lol) because just viewing this brief display struck a worldwide nerve. Blogs all over from Gawker to Huffpo to Tosh.0 lit up with thousands of comments. The readers of Yahoo left over 16,000 comments and Anderson Cooper even added her to his "RidicuList":

Anyway, I said all this to say, I may open a second channel to do humorous social vlogs on issues other than weight/body image/product reviews. This isn't the first time blogs have picked up stories I've submitted, but this is definitely the most viral, and I've actually been feeling the pull to go in this direction for quite awhile. Also, vlog videos are much easier than my production videos, so I could have a more consistent YouTube presence. Plus, I'm pretty skilled at finding interesting stories and I think you all would enjoy my commentary. After all, do you know what schools I've been to and how well educated I am?